The team at ESD recently installed a solar triple whammy — solar hot water, solar grid connect power supply and solar heating.
The client brief was to:
- reduce ongoing fixed costs
- become more sustainable
- warm lower storey bedrooms and dehumidify
Our solutions were to:
- replace the electric off-peak hot water system with gas boosted solar hot water. In this case, we installed an Edson 30 tube evacuated tube solar hot water system with a 315lt stainless steel tank and 20lt/m instant gas booster. The likely energy saving is 5kWhrs per day.
- install a Conergy 1.96kW grid connect system with an SMA 2000HF inverter. The likely energy saving is 8-9 kWhrs per day.
- install 2 Solar Whiz Solar Heating Modules (SAM), single panel kits on separate bedrooms, wall mounted. These are completely off-grid. The energy outcome is rooms heated and dehumidified during the daytime with no energy cost whatsoever to household.
This project involved a variety of equipment, staff and organisation to achieve a highly successful and positive outcome for the clients. ESD was approached to provide solutions to reduce ongoing energy costs, increase the level of sustainability of the residence and to specifically provide additional heating and de-humidification to 2 lower storey bedrooms. All of these goals were achieved in a professional and timely fashion with the end result being a considerably reduced energy footprint and a residence made more efficient and comfortable for the occupants.
The gas boosted solar hot water system will provide free hot water to the occupants for 75-80% of the year and save both the dollar cost of electricity and reduce their carbon footprint by potentially 25-30%.
The grid connect solar system will offset their energy consumption by a further 30% via the direct generation and use of solar energy during daylight hours. This system will pay itself off in energy savings over a 7-9 year timeframe.
The solar heating and de-humidification units will reduce the need to artificially heat the lower storey bedrooms and create a fresher environment with significant reductions in the potential for mould & mildew in this coastal environment.
To enquire how ESD can help you make your home a solar home, call us on (02) 4474 5903 or you can email us.